Monday, January 26, 2009

Iowa or Bust!


A couple of weeks ago my girlfriends and I had planned to hang out this past Saturday prior to us planning our vacation in a couple weeks. When we had everything booked, I realized that if I did not go home this weekend, I wouldn’t be seeing Mom & Dad until March! I quickly thought that I better make a quick trip home (plus I needed my hair did as well!) When I mentioned to the girls that I would have to cancel our plans I threw in a quick – or you can come to Iowa with me! Low and behold – the both said OKAY to my surprise!

So... Saturday afternoon we headed down. Despite the bitter cold it was a bright sunny day perfect for the commute. Now understand that all of my friends in Illinois are well aware of my love for people AND things in Iowa. On our way to our friend Aimee’s house, we stopped in at one of my “Loves” – Whitey’s. Now I don’t care what anyone says – I have NEVER had ice cream that can even come close to how good Whitey’s is. Surprise – surprise.... the girls wholeheartedly agreed. SEE? Mind you, we are used to walking around and avoiding the tourists in Chicago. I wonder what the people in line at Whitey’s were thinking when we had to stop and pose for this picture before we left! HA!

We headed to Aimee’s house and loved every minute of snuggling up with baby McCartney. She’s SO gorgeous and such a sweetie. She smiles and talks constantly!!! Although I can certainly see both of her parents in her – she is beginning to look like her daddy more! (This pic is not from this weekend – rather a cute “thank you note” for her Bears attire Uncle Bryon and I sent her awhile back – but it is SO flippin adorable!) I wish I could just take her home with me!
Next we went to Love #2 – Happy Joes. We met up with Aimee and Darren sans McCartney, Lori and Tiffany as well. The girls got to “experience” Taco Pizza. Although they couldn’t really comprehend what was so special previously, I think they do now realize it doesn’t taste like any other Chicago pizza at all! YUM!!!

After stuffing ourselves we headed over to Rookies for drinks where Mom & Dad also met up with us. We spent the majority of the evening laughing our ass off at Tiffany and her “normal” antics. My cheeks hurt so bad and I also nearly lost my voice from talking over the music all night long.


We have been dying to go out dancing forever. (The last time we were dancing together was in July at my reception!) We headed downtown Davenport as this is the only place we could think of. We thought we’d give the Carriage Haus a try. We should have known we didn’t belong when the bouncer didn’t really even ask us for our IDs. (Well except of Lori of course.) I can’t believe that I used to know about every person in there just a couple years ago!!! I assume they are all at home with their kids nowadays. I can’t believe these kids! We were in AWE. These kids are making out all over the place – looking like animals humping each other on the dance floor. It was rather disgusting. Tiffany thought it would be a better idea to cross the street to Shennanigan’s where she swore there were people more our age. Yea – maybe two. It was the same sort of scene. We laughed for probably about 10 minutes at this chick dancing with herself in the mirror. It was hysterical. I think we are just too damn old. Of course we did bust out a tune when Pour Some Sugar on Me came on... course everyone else stopped dancing. Hmmm? The best part of the night when a “stumbly” Lori asked the cop at the door if she could - “See his flashlight”. Classic.

Regardless of the inappropriate bars we visited, we all had a great time! My mother – you HAVE to love her – left us snacks to munch on when we got home and of course made a fantastic breakfast featuring Belgium Waffles with fixings, bacon and fruit. So yummy! And of course both girls left with their own personal bottle of Stewart Cellars wine!

I’m so glad the girls joined me – we had a ball – and now I feel much closer to them now that we have all seen a Pileated Woodpecker. Who knew?

PS – Did you know that Woody Woodpecker was modeled after the Pileated Woodpecker? Damn I learn something new every day! Just thought I'd share the knowledge!

XOXO
T

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pileated woodpecker comment...........didn't want you to go back to Chicago without learning something new!!